Sunday, February 7, 2016

What We Ate This Week

Phew, talk about crazy weather we're having. One day this week it was in the mid-50's and we were seeing green grass and then 8 inches of snow on Friday. It's been a mild winter all around and we'll take it. Last year I got such a late start on the garden since winter wouldn't quit. Maybe this year spring will be early and I'll get to dig in the dirt earlier! I will keep my fingers crossed. Anyway, onto what we ate this week!

Sunday - We ran errands for most of the day and I just didn't feel like cooking. Boxed mac and cheese (with frozen broccoli added, gotta get the veg) came to the rescue!

Monday - A big pot of black bean and corn chili. Yummy!

Tuesday - I threw together a greek pasta salad with olives, pepperoncinis, roasted red peppers, scallions, and dressing. Some chicken tenderloins made it out of the freezer for my husband as well.

Wednesday - Curried potatoes with eggs. Since the animals have been laying we've got loads! This is one of my favorite dishes to cook. The tomato based curry sauce is super yummy!

Thursday - I broke open the last box of meatless sloppy joe mix (bought on clearance for 75 cents!) and baked the last of a bag of frozen fries. There is still a big container full in the fridge so I'm thinking leftovers this week.

Friday - French bread pizza on 1/2 price day old roasted garlic bread. I used olives, pickled jalapeno slices, and pepperoncinis as toppings. We haven't had pizza in awhile so it was an extra treat.

Saturday - Huevos Racheros bowls with no beans. Again, we had been running around all day and I just didn't feel like cooking. The only real cooking involved here is boiling water, adding grits/polenta and frying eggs. This is my go to super quick fix meal (also, it's VERY DELISH).

This week I spent $35.02 at the grocery store, $8.21 at Big Lots, and $9.88 at Ocean State Job Lot (a New England store which is very similar to Big Lots). I am beginning to really like these posts because they allow me to look back at my grocery spending and see what needs improvement. I am becoming a HUGE fan of Big Lots. My husband's work snack basket was looking low so I headed over and found a whole bunch of healthy and organic snacks in their clearance bin. There were some great cracker packs for 65 cents a piece and some organic snack sized granola packs for 1.25 a box. Snacks always feel like a huge grocery budget buster so I really enjoy being able to find cheap stuff. I also received the "Good and Cheap"cookbook I bought off Amazon (used, of course) and am looking forward to trying some of her recipes. I had used the PDF version a few times but I find I enjoy having the cookbook in my hands much more than using it digitally.

Have you found any cookbooks that help stretch your grocery budget? Did you make any fantastic dishes this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment