Sunday, February 28, 2016

What We Ate This Week

Looking through my receipts for this week I'm a little disgusted with myself. I am so totally over budget! It's funny because when I feel like we have "more money" I end up spending more of it. I know this is a common thing (lifestyle inflation and all that) but it's driving me crazy. I'm cutting down to ONE STOP PER WEEK at the grocery store. Anyway, here's what we ate this week!

Sunday : My husband's cousin was over for dinner so we bought frozen pizzas as a treat. It was very tasty, and at $8 was much more affordable than take out (but still more expensive than homemade!).

Monday : I made an egg bake (aka strata) with a loaf of stale bread and a can of mustard greens for my husband. For myself I made the rest of a bag of frozen meatless tenders and oven fries with a potato.

Tuesday : We had white rice, stir fry veg, and a bag of frozen meatless beef strips. I'm actually not usually one for meat alternatives but I've been able to find some for a steal.

Wednesday : Huevos rancheros bowls. I let my husband pick from a list of meals and somehow I knew he's pick this one!

Thursday : I had run tons of errands all day so I was pooped around dinnertime. I made 2 boxes of Annie's mac and cheese and added a bag of peas and carrots.

Friday : After grocery shopping I always have lots of great fresh veg so I made a HUGE salad with homemade croutons. Our neighbor had a big meat order so he brought my husband a steak and a few burgers so I made the steak to go with his salad.

Saturday :  My family was visiting from out of state so we had a late lunch/early dinner at my mom's. She made her veggie lasagna which is so totally delicious!! I brought the noodles, a loaf of garlic bread, and some frosting for my aunt's birthday cupcakes.

All in all a pretty normal food week until we look at the numbers. I spent $66.29 at the grocery store, $6.27 at the dollar store, $7.40 at Big Lots, and $4.44 at Ocean State Job Lot which totals to a WHOPPING $84.40!!!! I can remind you here that my tip top budget for the week is $60. I didn't need a lot of staples and we didn't even eat a lot of food this week! I'm getting a little frustrated with myself for buying things just because they look good. When I went to the grocery store this week on Friday I really stuck to my list and had a rough meal plan so hopefully I'll do better this week. Yikes!

Do you ever go WILDLY over your grocery budget? It'd be nice to know I wasn't the only one. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment