Monday, February 1, 2016

What We Ate This Week

Oops! I'm a day late with this post. It was so nice out yesterday (over 40! In January! In Maine!) so taking the dogs out to play took precedent.

Sunday - Leftover curried squash soup with leftover salad. I love combining two leftover dishes to make one meal! Plus, no cooking, woo!

Monday - Black bean and avocado enchiladas. I dare you to make these and NOT lick the spatula from the enchilada sauce. It is so stinkin' tasty...mmm...

Tuesday - For my husband I made a deer liver/potato/onion slow cooker dish. I had salad made with the dregs of the crisper drawer with a meatless gardein sausage patty crumbled on top.

Wednesday - Tomato cabbage rice soup. I had a small cabbage head that was looking sad so in the pot it went. Does anyone else have a hard time making a reasonable amount of soup? There was seriously enough for a small army.

Thursday - Chickpeas, peas, and potatoes in curry sauce. I got this fantastic pineapple coconut milk curry sauce at a discount store and hoo-boy it did not disappoint! My best friend is half Indian and it seriously reminded me of her father's cooking we ate growing up. Yum!!!

Friday - Earlier in the week I cooked a bag of black rice that has been hiding in the back of my cabinet. So on Friday I used what was left after lunches to make fried rice. I added a bag of stir fry veg, scrambled eggs, mung beans I sprouted myself, and some green onions. This was one of the first things I learned to cook on my own.

Saturday - Leftover cabbage soup with grilled cheese sandwiches. I can't believe it but we made it through the vat of soup! ;)

The only waste this week was a small storage container of leftover mushroom gravy and TVP from last week's shepard's pie. Since the chickens will be getting it when I go out to feed them in a few minutes, I suppose it's not a total waste! This week I spent $25.78 at the wholesale club, $4.61 at the grocery store by my parent's house, and $13.33 at the grocery store by my house. I still have $6 in my wallet in case we need more fruit or greens. The chickens and ducks have started laying more as the days get longer so I see a lot of egg dishes in our future.

My neighbor brought us over a bag of food on Friday night as well! So we got 3 hunks of different fancy cheese, a salami, an appetizer of cut cheese/wine jelly, 2 bags organic tortilla chips, 6 bags of candy (I shared those with my mom, thankfully), and a small box of fig newtons. I used one bag of Hershey's kisses to make peanut butter blossoms and sent a dozen over to my neighbor. The cheeses were great because they were expensive types we'd never buy. Of course my husband loved the uncured salami because any meat is good to him. We have the best neighbor!

What did you eat this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment