Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Thrifty wins!

Over the weekend our neighbor was out of state so we watched his cat. He is usually a little hellion but must've been lonely because he was so lovable! After work yesterday my husband went to drop his key off and while there my neighbor's friend stopped by. I'm not sure exactly what he does for work, something involving driving I think but somehow ends up with tons of close to date food. A few times my neighbor has given us some stuff from him, usually candy. Well this time my husband came back with a giant bag full! There were a couple bags of candy, but there were tons of other things too! We got two packs of smoked salmon, which is a favorite of mine but it's so expensive! I stashed it in the freezer and will pick up bagels and cream cheese at the grocery store on my next trip. My husband ate the crab legs and lobsters last night, plus I have a 1lb package of tuna salad (good for almost a week more!) I will eat for lunches. We also got a pound of american cheese, deli meat ends, strawberries, and a bag of shrimp. Not only is it great because it's FREE but it was also a bunch of things we usually don't buy because they are pricey. Best of all is that my neighbor doesn't like smoked salmon so he said he'd give us all that he gets, wahoo!!!

On another thrifty note, I saw this morning on Facebook that my local Goodwill was having an "all kids clothes for 1$" sale today. One of my best friends from elementary school is having a little girl in May and I've been trying to stock up on cheap clothes for her. First I hit the Men's jeans rack, because my husband burns through jeans like no one else. I found a pair of 7 for all mankind jeans in my size, and they were the color of the day, so 3$! I came home and found that these pants retail for 189$!!!! Talk about the deal of the century. They fit amazing and were a great steal. All because someone put them in the men's section (probably because their sizing is by waist size, like men's jeans). I also found 7 cute little things for my friend. On Friday my mom and I are hitting up another thrift store where all the baby clothes are 1$ so I think after that I'll be all set with a bag full for her. I also picked up a brand new copy of "What to Expect When You're Expecting" for my own bookshelf. I am not pregnant yet, but we expect to try in the next year or so so I figured since I saw a copy in new condition for 1$ I'd pick it up. Plus, if anyone I know gets pregnant first I can give it as a gift. :)

All in all, a successful thrifty day!

No comments:

Post a Comment