Sunday, January 24, 2016

What We Ate This Week

So these new meal plan posts are going to span from Sunday to Saturday. This week I had a bit of a brain fart and chucked my receipts so I don't have a spending total (womp womp). I have bumped my grocery spending to 75$, but it does still include things like tolietries, cleaning supplies, and things like cling wrap.

Sunday  - I had taken drumsticks out of the freezer for Saturday (we had a guest for dinner) but our guest ended up getting us pizza! So Sunday I cooked 2 packs of chicken drumsticks (for my husband), roasted broccoli, and made autumn lentil pilaf (from the Budget Bytes cookbook). I really liked the pilaf, and will definitely make it again.

Monday - Curried squash soup made from most of the delicata squash my husband's grandfather gave us from his garden. I still have 2 more left!

Tuesday - I just didn't feel like cooking (I had to run a ton of errands during the day and just felt pooped). I cooked two boxes of Annie's mac and cheese (bought by the case at the warehouse club) and added a can of drained black beans, scallions, a sprinkle of chili powder, and about half a jar of pickled jalapenos. It was quick, easy, and tasty!

Wednesday - Homemade shepard's pie. I make Happy Herbivore's easy mushroom gravy as the sauce and add TVP for the "meat". It was tasty and worked great as a leftover lunch for my husband 2 days.

Thursday - Another busy day of errands, another easy dinner. I cooked half a box of pasta and warmed up a jar of sauce with gardein meatless meatballs.

Friday - My first attempt at quiche! I usually just make frittatas because crust terrifies me, but I found an easy no roll out recipe in my beloved King Arthur Flour cookbook. It ended up a bit crumbly, but I think that was from the liquid from the filling. I filled it with cooked greens (the last bit from our giant pack for salads that was starting to look sad) and the last of the smoked salmon our neighbor gave us. It was fantastic and I will definitely be making quiche again.

Saturday - Big salad with homemade croutons (from some stale bread). I had the last of some pinto beans on mine, and my husband had some sirlion tip steaks on his that I got in the discount bin for 1.40! Meat makes him happy so I try to pick some up when it's steeply discounted.

This week I went all over the place for groceries. I picked up a few things at the dollar tree, some dressings at Ocean State Job Lot, some Earth Balance (I'm going mostly dairy free from some tummy troubles) at Wal-Mart, produce and clearance tea at my local grocery store, and a whole mess of things at Big Lots. Big Lots has honestly become one of my favorite places for groceries lately. When you first walk in they have a big bin of close date foods that are at least 50% off. I've pretty much filled the snack bin for my husband's lunches for under 3$! I can also get canned beans at a regular price that is the same as my grocery store's once every three months awesome sale. I didn't need oats straightaway but have been eating oatmeal every morning so I picked up a 3lb canister of organic rolled oats there for 2.50$! What an awesome price. Goes to show you that if you have a budget sometimes it pays to expand your horizons for grocery shopping. :) I don't have exact amounts spent at each store but I do have 8$ left in my wallet! I did go a little crazy on the Big Lots discount bin (because my waist line did NOT need those brownie batter brownies!) but I never get treats so it was a one time thing. I will be better about it in future weeks.

What did you eat this week? Did you find any great deals?

No comments:

Post a Comment